Picture this: you treat yourself to a luxurious morning at the salon, walk out with a glowing new do, and are desperate to maintain the salon-quality finish at home. So, what do you do? Naturally, you purchase literally anything your hairdresser tells you to! You’re giddy that you’ve finally found the solution to perfecting the impeccable style that lasts forever… until your first wash. After washing, styling, and using all the products EXACTLY as you were told… your scalp is an itch-fest! The scratching starts, and you’re starting to feel like a character from the Planet of the Apes!
First, you are not alone: itchy scalp is super-common and a complaint that drove our Founder, Lisa, to create George. With over 20 years of experience in the hairdressing industry, Lisa has seen her fair share of itchy, inflamed scalps! When she set out creating George, this was one complaint she was adamant she would solve!
Your itchy scalp is (generally) not your fault. There are a variety of common conditions that could be driving the itch:
• Dandruff: Dandruff is a common scalp condition that causes flaking and itching. It is caused by a build-up of dead skin cells on the scalp.
• Seborrheic dermatitis: Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition that causes inflammation and scaling of the skin. It can affect the scalp, face, and other body areas.
• Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes the skin to overproduce cells. This can lead to scaling and itching on the scalp, as well as other parts of the body.
• Eczema: Eczema is a chronic skin condition that causes inflammation and itching. It can affect the scalp and other parts of the body.
• Lice: Small insects can infest the scalp and cause itching.
• Scalp ringworm: Scalp ringworm is a fungal infection that can cause itching, scaling, and hair loss.
• Allergies: Various allergens are found in conventional hair care!
Now, before you run to Doctor Google and diagnose yourself with one of the above, here are some of George’s tried and tested remedies to fight itchy tendencies:
• Avoid scratching your scalp. Bacteria under our nail beds can travel to open itching wounds, leaving you inflamed and even more itchy!
• Keep your hair clean and dry. Wash regularly to prevent product buildup/ cleanse the scalp of impurities. Always ensure you dry your hair thoroughly after each wash. Leaving the hair wet can worsen inflammation and create a space for bacteria to breed.
• Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Dry climates can commonly trigger skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
• Wear a hat to protect your scalp from the sun and cold weather. Yes, your scalp needs just as much protection as your skin! Ever had a sunburnt scalp? If you have, you’ll know never to do it again – ouch!
• Use a gentle shampoo and avoid using harsh soaps or detergents. Harsh chemicals found in conventional shampoo strip the scalp of essential oils, leaving it vulnerable to inflammation. Switch to a Natural, gentle alternative like the Stay All Day Clean Shampoo!